Losing or damaging your car keys can be incredibly inconvenient and lead to costly repairs or replacement. But how much does it actually cost to replace your car keys in the UK? The prices can vary greatly depending on the make and model of your vehicle, the type of key required, and where you go for replacement services. This article will examine the different factors that affect car key replacement costs in the UK so you know what to expect.
Key Types and Prices
The most basic type of metal keys cost the least to replace, while more technologically advanced keys tend to be most expensive. Here are average price ranges for different types of car keys in the UK:
- Basic metal key cutting – £10-£20
- Flip key cutting – £15-£30
- Proximity/remote key cutting – £25-£60
- Transponder key cutting – £30-£80
- Smart key cutting – £100-£200
Make and Model Differences
Replacement costs can also vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle. Luxury vehicles like BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover tend to have more advanced security systems and keys, driving prices higher. Here are some average replacement costs by car manufacturer:
- Ford – £20-£60
- Vauxhall – £25-£80
- Volkswagen – £30-£100
- Toyota – £35-£120
- BMW – £50-£150
- Mercedes – £60-£180
Locksmith vs. Dealer Prices
Where you go to get your replacement car key made also impacts the price. Independent auto locksmiths like carkeyleicester.co.uk generally offer better rates compared to authorised brand dealerships. For example, a basic Ford Fiesta metal key may cost £25 from a local locksmith but £60 from a Ford dealership. The price difference is usually greater for luxury brands with complex key technology.
If your car has an immobilizer system, any replacement key will need to be electronically programmed before it will start your car. Programming fees often add £20-£60 onto the total bill for cutting the physical key. Luxury brands again tend to charge higher programming fees. This is something to clarify upfront with the locksmith or dealership.
If you need to replace a lost car key in an emergency outside of normal business hours, expect to pay significantly more for out-of-hours mobile services. Emergency call-out rates for a locksmith like carkeyleicester.co.uk to come cut and program a new key onsite often start from £80-£100, over and above the standard key cutting costs.
Total Replacement Costs
Taking all these factors together, you can expect to pay anywhere from £20 to £300+ for replacement car keys in the UK. Basic spares for common vehicles may cost just £20-£50. But new prox keys for high-end vehicles can cost over £200 from a main dealer. On average, expect to pay £60-£120 for a new car key. Contact carkeyleicester.co.uk for an exact quote based on your vehicle make and model.
How to Save Money on Car Key Replacement
Follow these tips to keep replacement costs down if you need new car keys made:
- Shop around for quotes – Prices vary between locksmiths and dealerships
- Opt for a basic key with less features – The more basic, the cheaper
- Avoid “emergency” fees – Get keys replaced during normal hours
- Provide the original key – Makes duplication faster and easier
- Go to an independent locksmith like carkeyleicester.co.uk – Usually better rates than main dealers
- Buy blank keys online – And get them programmed locally
- Consider used keys – Could save 50% or more off new
By following these tips and selecting an affordable locksmith like carkeyleicester.co.uk, you can avoid overpaying and keep your car key replacement costs in the UK to a minimum.
Why Choose Carkeyleicester.co.uk?
When you need a new car key replacement in the UK, choose carkeyleicester.co.uk. As an affordable mobile locksmith service operating across the UK, we offer:
- Guaranteed Low Prices – Up to 50% savings off dealership prices
- Discounted Emergency Fees – We don’t profit from out-of-hours call outs
- Onsite Key Cutting – We come to you for convenient service
- All Makes/Models Serviced – Cut & program keys for 95% of vehicles
- Qualified Technicians – Trusted experts with years of experience
- Fast Turnaround – New keys usually within 30 minutes
- 100% Customer Satisfaction – Or your money back guaranteed
For almost any vehicle make and model, carkeyleicester.co.uk provides the most affordable and convenient key-cutting and replacement service in the UK. Get an instant quote online or call us at 07988388514 to get a new car key made. We offer competitive prices with no hidden fees.
Replacing lost, stolen or damaged car keys does not have to be a budget-breaking expense. By understanding the costs involved and choosing a reputable locksmith like carkeyleicester.co.uk, you can get new car keys made affordably so you’re never stranded. Contact us today to learn more about our competitive key replacement services throughout the UK.